Thursday, August 16, 2007

Vacation Picutres and comentary

Above is the trail map of the Highlands Backpacking trail in Algonquin park, Ontario. It begins on the highway 60 coridor, where you park your car and begin the trek into the woods. On this trail you have the option to do the 2 day first loop or the 3 day second loop. We chose the 3 day second loop that takes you around both loops.
This photo is not one that i took however if I had brought my camera I would have taken one similar at this point on the trail. There were more than a few places on the trail I wished i would have brought my camera instead of the disposables we chose to bring, however my camera would have added just enough weight to my already too heavy pack to make me collapse.

The above picture I named optimism, due to the fact that this beautiful scene was located a little over a km into the trail, we were fresh, we had only had one good incline to climb and we had not yet reolized how dang heavy our packs were yet. At this point on the trail we were feeling good, we still smelled half descent and we were thrilled to come across such beauty so soon in our hike. We tied the dog to a tree and retreated to the water for a dip and stop for some trail mix. Nievely thinking we had this little piece of paradise all to ourselves. Which we did for about 7 minutes before two families with their dogs and bikes showed up to join in. Needless to say we desided to leave this spot and continue on our hike into the QUIET wilderness.


The rest of the first day proved more dificult a hike than we had antisipated. It didnt take long for our shoulders and backs to start bitching about how heavy our packs were. There were more and more inclines as the day went. I spent the latter part of the days hike considering throwing half of our supplies into the bush. We each drank 3 leters of water that day and neither had to stop at any point along the way or at the camp site to relieve our bladders. This is how much fluid we were perspiring during the days hike. The above image is the view of the lake that we had from the tip of the paninsula that we were camped on for the night. The Site is on Faya Lake and is the first available campsite on the second loop. It is stunning, the site is a few minutes walk from the main trail and at least 4 km from any other campsite. The lake is all yours. There is no boat traffic or foot traffic, we were free to parade around in our birthday suits for the evening. Which was refreshing considering how hot and sweaty we were by the time we got there.



One problem with Faya Lake is finding a place to put your tent. Our little hiking pup tent depends entirely on your ability to peg it out! the whole structure is held up by a few ropes that require you peg them out to support the tent. Faya Lakes camp site is almost entirely Canadian Shield. I had to retreat the tent to the top of the hill and put it as close to the bush as possible to get the pegs in the ground, even then they didnt go in the whole way. Never the less it was a beautiful camp site which we throughly enjoyed!




The second day of hiking was a little bit easier. There were not quite as many inclines however the distance we had to travel was further than day 1. Our second stop was at Harness Lake, again we were tired and sweaty when we arived here as well. Harness lake is also very beautiful but does not offer the same kind of privacy as Faya Lake. Harness lake is home to quite a few camp sites both hiking and canoeing sites. I do have to comment on how respectful everyone was though, for the most part the surrounding campers were quiet and possibly just as tired as we were.
I have to comment on how rewarding it is to finish a 12km hike and retire to a lake front paradise to listen to loons calling, waves crashing and wind blowing the leaves on the trees. ( I will omit the sound of my dog barking at every little noise that did come out of the woods, He is a good dog.. Protecting his mommy's from the threat of bears coming to snack on their limbs)






Turn your head to the right... a little more.. does the picture look like it is standing in the right direction? Ya? Good I like this picture but forgot to rotate it before I posted it so its a little challenge for you to see it in its true beauty. This is one of those shots that Algonquin park is famous for. It is an early morning shot with the fog just lifting off the surface of the lake, the wather has yet to be disturbed by canoes and swimmers. It is still as glass and reflecting the sky and trees beautifully and right where the shadows cross the trees is that moring mist that makes waking up at the crack of dawn for a pee worth the trip out of the tent. This is the one place I dont mind waking up early, Algonquin has a different type of beauty for every time of the day, every season and every weather condition.





This is still on Harness Lake in the morning the people on the other side of the lake (right in the bunch of trees to the right of the screen.. See them? Nope well they are there trust me) were getting ready to put their canoe back in the water I needed to get one last shot of the still water before any human form could make an impact on it. This lake was also the last semi descent tasting water we had to drink for the rest of the trip. Every other water fill up on our journey will consist of bog water, which is safe if you boil it (we used water purification tabs) but doesnt mean it tases good. Bog water is heavy and tastes a little musty. (Thank god for tang!)







LOOK OUT! This is a nice little look out.. I was cussing this pretty place the whole way up the hill! (me) "What the hell do people need with these stupid lookouts anyway??""CLIMB up, look around... OHHHH... climb down.. Stupid" Until you get to the top and you are struck by the beautiy in each lookout. Every single one is different, some show you lakes or rivers or simply hills upon hills of trees. Wonderful breesy place to put down your way to heavy backpack and have a break.









The above image is another shot of the morning mist on the lakes in the park. Unfortunately I dropped the camera in a pot of water on the second night which spoiled a few of the shots. This is my explination for why hald is green and the other half looks like.. well water damaged. But you get the point.
Overall I loved the trip. I liked the physical exertion (although at times I just wanted to hang up the pack and be helecopterd off the trail) I loved the secluded sites on the trail, I loved the trees and water and sunshine. I loved the company of my partner and puppy. It is not often that you get to have a few days alone with the one you love, no phones, no work, no computer nothing to distract you. What I love about my relationship with Shannon is that no matter what happens, even if we bitch at eachother the whole day on the trail, even if we are tired and smell worse then a man after playing 3 games of hockey, even if we are hungry and cranky at the end of the day we love eachother and can both sit back by the campfire and have some freeze dryed curry chicken and marvel in the beauty of the days hike and the nice place we are fortunate enough to lay our heads for the day. (okay you can breath now, after my loooong ass run on scentance)
Finally I have a message for all you skinny, fit athletic types that frequent these trails. I hate you! I hate that you can bound up a 1500 foot incline like they are a stroll in the park. ( I know they kind of are) Those that are able to finish this hike in two days and still look and smell pretty fresh. Just joking. I stirve to be able to do just that. I would like for ALL those hills to bearly cause my breathing to change, to not have to stop half way up to get my heart back to an acceptable rythem. To be able to complete the hike without the type of physical effort it takes a larger person to complete it. One thing I will say though it that I am proud. I am proud of me. I am far from fit. In fact in the past 10 years I have allowed myself to gain a lot of weight and am not nearly as active as I once was. But I made the decision to take on this challenge and although there were times that it was difficult I perservered. I completed the hike. And I plan to do it all again. So there!









3 comments:

The Mad Hatter said...

Beautiful beautiful pictures chick thank you for sharing :-)

I have to say you made me cry with your post before ... about Shannon. My hairs stood up ... and I agree 100% that you should follow your heart regardless of what your friends and family think is or isnt right ... you took that chance as I did ... and look at the partners we have been blessed with :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! You should turn them into a calendar ~ they are breathtaking!

tjbro said...

Just did this myself. Here's my recount of the journey: http://www.tjbro.com/?q=node/69