Thursday, May 10, 2007

New Puppy!!

Just shy of two weeks ago My partner and I desided it was time to get a new puppy. We had a Chinese crested Hairless dog names Scoop for about 7 years. Unfortunately about a year and a half ago we had to put our little Scoopy down. It was an extreamly difficult decision and very painful to do but he had gone blind and was very sick. It just got to the point that it wasnt fair of us to allow him to suffer any longer. So heres to remembering the most beautiful hairless dog ever!




After a time of morning and healing we began to ache for a new four leg'd friend. I found myself looking at the doggie classified ads and checking out the Toronto Humane Society website pretty frequently. Finally we did it we got in the car and drove over to the Toronto Humane Society on River St. and took a look at the dogs available for adoption. My partner fell in love with a puppy. So we filled out the adoption papers and were told we would have to return on Monday to get him because he was a stray and they couldn't adopt him until Monday. Dejected we returned home without a four leg'd friend. I desided to return the next morning to check on what we hoped would be our new puppy only to find that we had been lied to and our puppy had been adopted later in the day on Saturday. I guess it just wasn't ment to be. Now it was time to look around for another pup. I must have walked around the adoption area for 45 minutes before I came across "6mos. old No Name" He was so cute! Every time I came near his cage his tail would wag and he would lick me through the bars. Having fallen in love again I ran over to the adoption guy to ask about this one. (same guy as the day before) he again was absolutely no help at all. However I did notice that every time I enquired about a dog he would go over to some guy named Will. The first guy told me the dog didnt have any paperwork and I would have to keep looking. Now I was getting a little peeved. As far as I was concerned I had done all the looking I cared to do.. this was my new 4 leg'd friend! Now I aproach Will and ask him about this dog. Finally someone willing to give me a few minutes! Will and I talked for about half an hour outside "No Name's" cage and he told me that because "no Name" was a puppy he would have to take more adoption requests for him. But to stick by the phone because he may call me by the end of the day!



Home I go hoping this wont be a repeat of the previous days adoption attempt. I went home and told Shannon about this pup. How sweet he is, cute, licking me through the bars... Not 2 hours after I got home Will called me. He got enough adoption requests and the dog is mine if I still want him. HELLO! Of course I do. So Shannon and I hoped back in the car and drove off to pick up our new pup! Shannon fell in love with him the first second she layed eyes on him. When we arrived there was a big crowd formed outside his cage. People fighting with eachother to adopt this dog.. and he was ours!!

One family was particularily rude about it. Telling his kids to say goodbye to THEIR dog, letting us know they came all the way from Niagra to adopt ":this" dog.. But I aint stupid.. "This" dog was not even posted ont their website. We named him Marley and took him home! We reolized very quickly that he needs a lot of training! I got blisters on my hands the first walk with how much pulling he was doing. Dispite the pulling he was so sweet and happy.




Almost two weeks later and his training has gone very well so far. He hardly pulls on his leash anymore, he can shake a paw and sit on command. Still working on come! It all worked out in the end and we have got a wonderful, beautiful smart new 4 leg'd friend!



No comments: